Today’s braking systems have been greatly improved with the integration of computers into these systems. Antilock braking utilizes speed sensors at each wheel to feed information to a processing unit that monitors these and other sensors to determine best braking application. In a panic or wet/snow stop the sensor information would be used to inhibit a wheel(s) from lock up thereby allowing shorter stopping distances and improved steering control. Inspection of this system would include, but not be limited to:
Brakes & Anti-lock Brakes
- Thorough road test & exterior light inspection
- Scan tool diagnosis to pull codes and data from system
- Inspect brake fluid level & condition
- Inspect braking components including; lines & hoses, brake pads & shoes, hardware, calipers & wheel cylinders
- Inspection of various sensors & control units & plumbing
- Analyze data, codes and other technical data to recommend repair
Traction control systems utilize many of the same components that already exist in a vehicles’ antilock braking system. Speed sensors at each wheel feed information to the processing unit that then can tell if a wheel has lost or is losing traction.
The system will then pulse the brakes on the slipping wheel and on many systems allow more power to be transferred to the non-slipping wheels. Through the many tools & data systems at our disposal Bob & Sons is able to diagnose & repair these systems. A traction control problem will usually be accompanied with an “antilock” brake light on also.
Steering & Suspension
Today’s automobiles are more quiet, ride more smoothly, get more miles to the gallon of gasoline and pollute a fraction of cars 15 years or older. However all this ride luxury is very dependent on a properly maintained steering & suspension system. A thorough steering and suspension examination would include the following:
- Extensive road test on various road conditions
- Tire pressure & wear examination to identify alignment issues
- Examine wheels for damage or wobble problems
- Examination of tie rod ends, idler arm, ball joints, bushings & hardware
- Examination of steering box or steering gear, fluid retention
- Power steering pump & related hoses & belt
- Shock absorbers and/or macpherson struts for wear/leaks
- Front wheel drive boots & axles for leaks or damage
- Advise on findings and recommend repairs
Front/Four Wheel Drive
Front wheels and four wheel drive systems provide improved handling, traction and road feel compared to other rear wheel drive cars. Many manufacturers are using “all wheel” drive systems in many cars and sport utility vehicles. These systems have unique characteristics and associated problems. Bob & Sons has the training, tools and resources to accurately diagnose and repair these hi-tech drive systems.
Air Conditioning & Heating (HVAC)
Today’s “climate control”, in–car temperature control systems do a wonderful job of providing you with living-room-like temperature control. Passengers can control the temperature independently of the driver and on many systems rear passengers have control also. These heating and cooling systems work great, but unfortunately sometimes things stop working. Bob & Sons has the tools and training to diagnose and remedy any problem that might occur. A sampling of the services we provide include:
- Environmentally friendly air conditioning recharging
- Heating & ventilation diagnosis & repair
- All air conditioning & heating parts replacement including heater & evaporator cores, compressors and hoses, blower motors & electronic modules
Air Bags, Power Windows and Accessories
Just as the heating and cooling (HVAC) system is designed to keep you comfortable automatically, so too many of the accessories in our cars today add comfort & convenience. Power windows, mirrors, seats and sunroofs are just a few of the more obvious. Other not-so obvious convenience features might include a concert-like audio system w/ multiple CD changer, video for passengers, heated seats, mirrors & steering wheel, Airbags and side curtains. Heated windshield, rain sensing windshield wipers, keyless or remote entry & a myriad of lighting safety systems are common in today’s vehicles. Rest assured that Bob & Sons Automotive continues to train & obtain the tools to service these complex systems.